ruthellenday

TheREDBooks

I love to read fantasy, scifi, YA, and MG. I also write books and have a YouTube channel (TheREDBooks) on which I discuss what I'm writing and what I'm reading :)

The Healing Wars: Book I: The Shifter

The Shifter - Janice Hardy So the main reason I bought this book is because someone said that the one I’m writing sounded a lot like it. Of course, as soon as I read the back cover I realized the only similarities was that the main characters could heal people using magic (a common fantasy trope) and they had little sisters. Basically my fears that I’d spent two years working on a book that had already been written were quelled and I was able to just sit back and enjoy the book without constantly comparing it to my own. Yes, I did enjoy this book, but I don’t find myself compelled to go out and buy the next one. I think that is mainly because I didn’t really connect to any of the characters, not even Nya, through whose first-person narration the whole story was told. Maybe that’s just because these aren’t the types of characters I relate to, but I happen to think that it is more because the characters didn’t feel like people but as pawns on a chessboard the authors was simply moving around. Granted, she was moving them around in very interesting ways. The premise was interesting, the action was non-stop, the moral dilemmas were pretty unique, though I was beginning to get tired of Nya’s complaining about not wanting to hurt people by the end. In short, the plot kept me turning the pages of this book, but I need to feel more connected to the characters to invest in the next one.